Senior News: FAFSA

By: Jennifer Cruz

Hey Highland Seniors! It is time to start filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, better known as the FAFSA on The form is designed to calculate the amount of money a family is expected to contribute towards admission for a post-secondary education. The EFC, or expected financial contribution, is also used to determine student grants, work study, and loan amounts. It is free to fill out the form and the deadline is March 2nd by midnight central time,so do not procrastinate and get your application in as soon as possible. 

In order to fill out the application, certain forms will be necessary. For an independent student a social security number is needed but , if they are not a U.S. citizen, an Alien registration number will suffice. They will also need their most recent federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned as well as bank statements, records of investments, and any records of untaxed income if applicable. A dependant will need all the same forms but from their parents. Most important of all is that the student needs an FSA ID and the parent will need one too. This can be created at and any questions on it can also be answered there. It will be used to electronically sign the FAFSA form.

If any problems or questions arise help can be found at or students can chat with an online representative at Students can also always meet with their counselors to go over any problems they encounter while filling out their FAFSA or if they need to make any corrections.